Shared bicycles are increasingly becoming a key part of the transport framework for many local authorities alongside public transport and car share clubs.
Bikeplus is the representative body for UK bike share. Although bike share schemes are operated by the private sector, the public sector and some cases large employers and community groups, are responsible for many aspects of development. Bikeplus aims to support these groups to get the most out of this process.
Bikeplus roles can be summarised into four key functions:
- Collect data to provide evidence of for the benefits of bike share schemes:
- Who is using the schemes and why?: UK wide bike share users survey
- Metrics on bikes, stations and ridership
- Sharing information on:
- Good practice for setting up successful schemes: Procurement Guidance
- Case studies
- Latest innovations and developments overseas
- Delivering pioneering projects to ensure the social and environmental benefits are maximised and evenly spread:
- Partnership and development support:
- Stakeholder Forums
- Dissemination events: Inaugural UK Bike Share Conference
- Consultation for early scheme proposals and feasibility studies
- Strategic partnerships with UK and overseas sustainable and shared transport organisations
For further information see our bike share page.
If you are interested in keeping in touch with bikeplus developments please email antonia(at)bikeplus.org.uk